5/5/09

"Where is the most intense realm of the heart, the soul, the faculties? In passion or in reason? Everything is logical in this world. Age of passions first; the age of reason next.

He who has not gone through these phases has only half-lived.

The person who has had only passions knows but one side of life; he who has had only reason is no better off; and he who upsets the natural order of the two periods has been nothing but a fool from beginning to end...

And I should see you again as I saw you, and I should love you again as I loved you, you of whom I try in vain to say nothing here, although my thoughts are all filled with you--you who appear to me still young and beautiful and charming as in other days..."

~From the Journal of Baron Philippe Regis de Trobriand
December 31, 1867
Dakota Territory