3/29/07

The Assassin's Joy (Revised)

How did it always
get so late
so early?

I remember:

she slept nightless,

dreamed
of flying
first class,

I heard her say.

You never realized
how fast
you were going

until
bodies
fell
away.

We were once
the only witness
to Rome.

Elements
her body,

her body
a part of mine,

apart from mine...

And the
Deja vu
as I kept
searching

for you
in this circle
of surrender.

Catching you
was like mating
with a butterfly,

and you knew
no time.

How
did you convince

them

that your
gaze
was the gaze

of no
other?

Firebrand
filled with death...

And all the death
that comes
with fighting off
death

that I
could never
know.

Still in the process
of becoming
this late night

and straight on
until morning,

grateful,

as l was
always able
to come
to the table

still standing.

When you were
locked away
in your
white walled
room

I could not help
but try to rescue
you

even
when you
no longer
wanted me.

And
All of this,

this eternal
ceremonial mess,

is nothing
but the laughter
of the assassin's
joy.

Los Angeles - 3/22/07