3/22/07

The Assassin's Joy

How does it get
so late
so early?

I remember:

she slept nightless,

dreamed
of flying
first class,

I heard her say.

You never realize
how fast you're going
until
you hit
the ground.

This circle of surrender.

Elements
her body,


her body...

We were once
the only witness
to the Autumn
of Rome.

And the
Deja vu
as I
searched


for you.

California beaches
are boring
and blonde.

This ceremonial mess.

Being with her
is like mating
with a butterfly,

and she does
not
know

time.

How
did you convince
them
that your
gaze
was the gaze
of no
other?

Firebrand
filled with death...

And all the death
that comes
with fighting off
death
that I
can never
know.

Still in the process
of becoming
this late at night,

thankful

as l still
am able
to come
to the table

standing.

When you are
locked
in your
white walled
room

I can't help
but rescue
you

even
when you
no longer want it
from me.

This is nothing
but
the assassin's
joy.

Los Angeles - 3/22/07